The Disillusioned Photographer

A friend and I went to Dunsborough for a Christian Fletcher  workshop this weekend.  Because we were excited and inspired by Christian’s work, we took our trusty cameras around Busselton and Dunsborough to capture the gorgeous coastline and surrounds.  When I reviewed my images later, I was thinking, these aren’t too bad and pretty happy with most of my shots, we decided to go check out Christian’s gallery before the workshop that evening.

My jaw dropped in awe at the work in his gallery.  BUT, the more I looked at his work, the sicker I felt.  My pretty good shots of that morning’s outing, were in reality, pure and utter crap!!  I left his gallery feeling ill and very despondent, thinking I was a complete idiot for attempting to become a photographer.  I felt like throwing my camera off the magnificent cliffs in the area, closely followed by myself!

Then we did the workshop!! What an eye opener that was.  Christian shared his journey and struggles with photography, and some awesome tips on how to get to where he is today.  I highly recommend doing the course if you get the chance.  So I am going to share just a couple of the shots I got before we did the workshop, regardless of my feelings of inadequacy and  hopelessness!

Busselton Jetty – I know it has been done to death, but I have never been there, and for me it is somewhat a compulsory image to have in your portfolio!!

Sugar Loaf Rock – Also done to death, but seascapes are my thing and it just had to be done.  Also, I just got a ND400 filter and tried these out for the first time on these two shots.  In hindsight, I probably should have practiced with it BEFORE going to an iconic place to photograph.

The Obligitory Shot

Sugar Loaf Rock

1. They look pretty good to me Tina, I never feel that despondent, some people are just more than VERY good, I accept this. I sometimes look at stuff even on flickr and wonder how they are so good so it would be no surprise to me if my stuff looked like crap compared the Mr Fletcher’s. I would like to know how they get some of the rich colours to really pop they they do though.

August 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

• Thanks Julie! His work is amazing, and he was so down to earth and approachable. No question seemed stupid, and I left the course feeling re-energized to go out and do MY thing! And it made me remember that I have only been shooting for 2 1/2 years, and have so much more to learn. He’s been doing this for 21 years!!!

But I do feel a couple of weekends away shooting different stuff coming on in the future. You in?? 🙂

August 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

2. Hi Katrina

Thanks for the great plug. Remember I got the same feeling when I went into Michael Fatalis gallery in the US. I wanted to die! His stuff just made me feel sick and I questioned my role as a photographer. I could have given up then but wanted to prove to myself I could achieve similar results. And you know what, I did it!! So you can too. Your images are fabo and with time could be brilliant. So now you know you have something to aim for and the incentive to get better. I want you to kick my butt one day with the best god damned image I have ever seen. Go do it!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

• CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback, I have another 18 1/2 years of shooting to catch up to your experience, but I will be back to pick the hell out of your brains again 🙂

August 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

3. well I started taking photos aged 12 and I’m 52, so that’s 40 years and still trying to get it right LOL. I am looking forward to our weekend away at Bremer. would have dragged the hubby along but wouldn’t you know, he got a job taking photos for a sports wind up, something that would bore me brainless. Still trying to get used to and get the best out of my 7D. It is a challenge compared to the 50D and the trusty 5D. So I have decided that is the only camera I’m bringing along, need to work harder 🙂 And for all the negative stuff I have read about numerous cameras I’ve owned, I usually grow to love them.

August 8, 2011 at 3:33 pm

4. By the way, Id like to do that course sometime Tina, not that Im a landscape fanatic but its something Id like to get better at

August 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

5. great work. I do not believe it is about something or some where being “done to death” it is about capturing your moment, something to savour and share with others. The beauty of down hear is that the context never changes (jetty or Sugar Loaf Rock) but the content is never the same (the weather, the coulds, the swell …)

thanks for sharing and I for one just wish I could take photos half as good as you.

August 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

• Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment, and you are absolutely correct 🙂

August 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

6. Hi Katrina, Theres nothing bad about these shots infact I really like the sugarloaf ones. Keep em coming.

cheers Pete.

August 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

• Thanks Pete, kinds words coming from a photographer of your caliber 🙂

August 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

7. Katrina your photography is amazing and after doing Christians workshop you will be even better. He is a great guy and I must get along to another one again soon.
    You know what is great about your photography? You getting out and doing it! My drive is a bit flat of late you know we should have a local bloggers day and go out for a shoot and lunch some place and generally help each other out.

Don’t worry about shooting the same stuff as every one else either. I did a brilliant workshop with a guy called Rocco Ancora, look him up, and like he said, yes it may have been shot before but not by ME!

Cheers

August 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

• Cheers for the kind words David! Christians workshop actually inspired me to get off my ass and push myself a little more, and got me out of the rut that I was in photography wise. I think I have been using my MS as an excuse not to get out of my comfort zone and take some risks to better learn this craft. That is why I have booked into his Karijini workshop and can’t wait for it 🙂

I think a shoot would be a great idea, Leigh mentioned exactly the same thing when I spoke to him last week. I think he said he was coming down around the 10th, so let’s do it!!

August 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm