Sugar Loaf Rock again.

Ok, it’s another one of this rock, but I can’t get enough of it.  This was taken with an ND8 filter and has been desaturated by about 25%.  It’s still vibrant and over the top, but I thought I’d post it anyway because I like the cloud formation…

I have tried to desaturate it more, but it starts to look murky and flat.  Any and all critique gratefully accepted.  Merv that means you 🙂

1. I think it looks great, the editing enhances the colours so that it is instantly eye catching. I’m impressed by all of your pictures. Good stuff!

September 20, 2011 at 1:24 am

2. I like it, people are always attracted to the saturated colours anyway. clouds look amazing

September 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm

• Thanks Julie, the clouds are actually as I took them, it was just perfect timing and the colour was amazing!!

September 20, 2011 at 8:22 pm

3. I gotta go there sometime, never been. cant imagine dragging the hubby out for a dawn shoot there though. Maybe somewhere for the next camera club weekend 🙂

September 21, 2011 at 12:09 am

4. Katrina, what I’m not keen on is the clouds that others love.

To me they form a frame or a vignette around the shot and i find that distracting. It distracts from the rock IMHO which is the focus of the shot. Hard to do much else when that’s the way it was except for a crop.

Just my opinion though, others may differ.

September 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

• Thanks Merv, much appreciated for the honest critique. The clouds are exactly as I shot them, same colour etc, not edited at all, just from another scene 😉
      I put them in to help frame the rock, but, I find that the more I am looking at it, the more I am not loving it. To me, it is starting to look too crowded and busy, but that’s just me. It hasn’t been vignetted, but I can now see where you are coming from.
      But I do have to admit, tacky as it can sometimes be, I am a fan of vignetting! Sorry 🙂

September 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm

5. That explains a few things. The clouds just didn’t seem right with the way the light is shining on them and the way the light falls onto the rocks. It all just didn’t look quite right as the sun is going down and the rocks is in bright light. i was wondering if they were a drop in.

I think you are onto it , it’s all a bit too cluttered and busy.

Vignetting is fine in the right shot.

September 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm