Altered Landscape Debate

Lately there has been much discussion on Altered Landscapes.  I have to admit, I am confused as to the definition.  So, I went through my archives trying to find something that I think fits the bill and came up with these.

If someone can clear up what an “Altered Landscape” is, I would appreciate the clarification, as I still have no clue!

1. HI Katrina good to see you are back,Well i’m sure that its any landscape that has been altered by man so both of those images would qualify as altered landscape as far as i can figure.

October 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

2. From what I have gathered an altered landscape is where humans have altered it instead of the normal environmental natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanoes, cyclones etc, or should I say that humans have caused more of the changes. That’s the way I read it anyway, so I would imagine photos showing the effects of tree clearing, pollutions such as rubbish that is man made would qualify

October 21, 2011 at 6:14 am

3. Yep, know the feeling. I think it could be a photo of anything if touched by man is one of the definitions. I can’t think of to many things that haven’t be altered in one way or another by man thats for sure. These photos would be what I would class as altered for sure but i think it’s more a style of photography as well probably created by CF.

October 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

• Well if CF has created it, we are all doomed to failure. I am sure he will make up the rules as he sees fit just to keep us all guessing and pushing us to try new things 😉

I struggled to find four shots for comp, managed two, and I just threw two more in to fill the spaces. I am sure they won’t be suitable, but because I paid for it I dumped them in.

October 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

4. Geoff S

Hi Tina,

Toss aside the confusion. “Altered landscape” is one of those phrases, periodically in vogue, which, in part due to their lack of specificity, gain popularity and a degree of common usage.

Currently the expression is used as a descriptor in any number of fields. The level of financial indebtedness across our planet has led to an altered landscape in the global economy; the dumping of a number of sportsmen/women from a team (or indeed coaches and officials) creates an altered landscape for the club; politically, there are altered landscapes everywhere you look. Libya is a topical example where the death of Ghadaffi has altered that country’s political landscape quite dramatically.

In short, people, generally, use the term to describe any kind of change, particularly when their attempts to pigeonhole a change are somewhat nebulous.

Photographically speaking, it is, perhaps, easier to refer to an ‘altered landscape” than “man’s influence on the natural environment” or any similar and more long-winded expressions (long-winded – like my response!).

In short, because it is non-specific a definition which will satisfy all is not possible.

There are few places you and I can go to that are untouched by man. Footprints on an isolated and deserted beach could provide an altered landscape/seascape, for example.

Use the term, create landscapes which you feel fit comfortably uder this new heading (why, it’s a whole new genre!!). At the very least, viewers might think, “Hmm … she’s onto something here. I’m not sure what, but if I keep looking it might come to me.” It may bring viewers back for a second or third look. But then, the standard of your photography always brings them back for another look.

IMHO

Nothing like a Saturday afternoon ramble.

Geoff

October 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm

• Thanks Geoff, an interesting read! And since you called me Tina, I am assuming you are the Geoff I see once a month at club?

I think it would be hard pushed to find much that isn’t altered in some way, so photographically speaking the scope is endless. Now just gotta get out and shoot it.

Thanks for the lovely comments on my work, it is much appreciated as always 🙂

October 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm